Thursday, July 31, 2008

First Proselyting Experience

From Elder Griffin's email (8/29/08):

On Saturday we went proselyting for the first time! It was really interesting, originally my companion and I were supposed to go out twice that day, but my companion hurt his ankle in futbol...no bueno. We only got to go during the day and well, it was interesting. The people are so poor, they only have four walls and sometimes no roof with a dirt floor. I saw about 300 dogs in the streets. It is very hard to understand the people when they talk two hundred miles per hour. I love the people so much and can tell when I talk to them that God loves them so much and wants the best for them.... the experience was kind of scary, but I learned so much.


The first person we visited was inactive. He was very excited for us to be there and explained that he hadn’t been to church for a couple months because had a lot of work every day, including Sunday. I explained to him that before the mission I had a job where I had to work on Sunday and I quit it. I told him that I knew that If he sacrificed certain things in his life that were important to him than God will bless him so much in his life...he committed to going to church on Sunday.


Yesterday was the Independence Day for Peru. We had a feast and learned the national anthem, it was really cool. I have to go, CHAU!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would encourage a man who probably lives in a hut to quit the only job he can get in order to go to church? If he doesn't have an income, how is he supposed to tithe?